Altar Server assists the Priest and the Deacon in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and serves at weddings, funerals, and other liturgical celebrations.
- Is age 10 or older
- Is committed to service to the community
- Understands and appreciates the liturgy, worship, and sacraments.
- Able to stay focused and avoid distracting movements so as not to draw attention away from the Liturgy (sit straight, feet on the floor, etc).
- Knows which tasks are assigned to this ministry and is diligent in carrying these tasks out.
- Attends training sessions and is willing to take direction.
- Arrives early enough to carry out tasks without hurry and prepares for the liturgy.
- Dresses appropriately according to parish norms.
- Is faithful to the schedule and substitute list.
- Is willing to substitute when necessary.
- Is comfortable in front of people
- Can show the proper attitude during the performance of tasks with Respect, Reverence, Attention, and Care.
- Has a willingness to learn about the structure of the liturgy, including weddings and funerals, and liturgical terms. Can memorize the parts of the liturgy.
- St. Joseph Altar Server Workshop (Updated June 2017)
- Updates include additional responsibilities for the Cross Bearer when there are only 2 Altar Servers for the Mass
- Other minor fine tuning throughout
- Altar Server Procedures (Guidelines)
- Altar Server Parent Guidelines
Our weekly and monthly schedules are on St. Joseph’s Scheduling web site. To enroll as an altar server or to log into our website to sign up for Masses and see the weekend schedule click here: St. Joe’s Scheduling Web Page
Altar Servers serve the community’s prayer by helping to make the ritual of the Mass proceed with style and grace. They remind us at every weekend Mass that in the task of worship there is a place for everyone. Their ministry includes being an example to the rest of the community through their faithful attention and participation during the liturgy. St Joseph is seeking young parishioners in grades 5 through 12 (ages 10 and up) interested in becoming Altar Servers. If you are between the ages of 10 and 17 years and are interested in this important ministry, you are encouraged to please contact Karl Noah via email and/or phone anytime.
- Update (05/14/2017): There was an Altar Server Workshop on June 04 for all young parishioners in grades 5 through 12 (ages 10 and up) interested in becoming Altar Servers. The workshop was from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm. The Workshop went over the entire process for the Mass. To prepare for our altar server workshops, please print a copy of the Workshop material by clicking on the link above. The invitation to all our Workshops goes out to all current Altar Servers who would like to attend and practice and/or ask questions about the process.
Altar Server Blessing and Appreciation November 21-22, 2015
- Karl M Noah
- St. Joseph Altar Server Coordinator
282total visits,1visits today