Altar Servers assist the Priest and the Deacon
in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and serve at weddings, funerals,
and other liturgical celebrations.
“Being an Altar Server is a Call to Prayer and Mission.” Pope Francis
St. Joseph provides young Catholics in grades 4 through 12 (ages 10 and up) with the opportunity to grow stronger in their faith and become more active in the celebration of the Mass by altar serving.
In his August 1, 2001 address to altar servers, Pope John Paul II said, “Your commitment to the altar is not only a duty but a great honor, a true holy service…The altar server has a privileged place in liturgical celebrations. Those who serve at Mass present themselves to a community. They experience from close at hand that Jesus Christ is present and active in every liturgy…Therefore in the liturgy, you are far more than mere “helpers of the parish priest”. Above all, you are servants of Jesus Christ, the eternal High Priest.”
St. Joseph invites and strongly encourages young people who have received their First Holy Communion to become Altar Servers. Those interested in this important ministry and would like additional information are encouraged to contact the Parish Office.
Why Become an Altar Server?
- Is age 10 or older
- Is committed to service to the community
- Understands and appreciates the liturgy, worship, and sacraments.
- Able to stay focused and avoid distracting movements so as not to draw attention away from the Liturgy (sit straight, feet on the floor, etc).
- Knows which tasks are assigned to this ministry and is diligent in carrying these tasks out.
- Attends training sessions and is willing to take direction.
- Arrives early enough to carry out tasks without hurry and prepares for the liturgy.
- Dresses appropriately according to parish norms.
- Is faithful to the schedule and substitute list.
- Is willing to substitute when necessary.
- Is comfortable in front of people
- Can show the proper attitude during the performance of tasks with Respect, Reverence, Attention, and Care.
- Has a willingness to learn about the structure of the liturgy, including weddings and funerals, and liturgical terms. Can memorize the parts of the liturgy.
Interested? We do training throughout the year. To sign up as an altar server click here:
Our weekly and monthly schedules are on St. Joseph’s Scheduling website. To log in to our scheduling website to sign up for Masses, put in can’t serve times, and see the weekend schedule click here:
Please email the Parish Office.