Saint Joseph’s-on-Carrollton Manor has a very active Mass Coordinator and Extraordinary Ministry. Our Mass Coordinators are Extraordinary Ministers who are in charge of preparing the altar for the liturgy and for overseeing our Masses to make sure that everything runs smoothly. Our EMs distribute the Eucharist at our weekend and weekday Masses, on Holy Days, and pre-COVID to those that are home-bound or in nursing homes, and at our local hospital.
Becoming an MC or an EM at St. Joseph’s is a great way to answer God’s call and serve Our Lord and your fellow parishioners. It is also a great way to show the importance of service and ministry to your immediate family. If you’d like to find out more information on being an Extraordinary Minister or a Mass Coordinator at St. Joseph’s, contact our Liturgical Ministries Chair Mike Jones or contact the Parish Office.
Extraordinary Minister Requirements
- Flexibility to serve when needed.
- Must have completed the Sacraments of Initiation into the Church (Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation) and STAND training.
- Is a practicing, faith-filled member of the community and in “good standing” with the doctrines of the Catholic Church.
- Willing to arrive at least 10-15 minutes before your scheduled Mass time and check-in with the Mass Coordinator, also to stay 10-15 minutes after Mass to purify the sacred vessels and prepare for the next
- Understand that you are distributing the real Body and Blood of Christ to your fellow parishioners.
- Reverence our Church community as the “Body of Christ.”
- Willing to participate in ongoing training, such as workshops and retreats.
- Willing to find a responsible substitute if unable to serve at your scheduled time.
Extraordinary Minister Skills
- Moves with reverence and grace.
- Does not rush just to get the task done.
- At ease in front of people.
- Can take direction well.
- Can exercise the role of hospitality.
- Wants to be a servant to the community.
- Handles the Body of Christ at all times with reverence
- Responsible and reliable
Mass Coordinator Requirements
- Must be an Extraordinary Minister in good standing. May have to substitute as an Extraordinary Minister as needed at any given Mass.
- Flexibility to serve when needed.
- Is a practicing, faith-filled member of the community and in good standing with the doctrines of the Catholic Church.
- Must be willing to arrive at least 30 minutes before your scheduled Mass time and stay 20 minutes after Mass to set for the next Mass.
- Understand that you are representing Christ and the Parish leadership.
- Must be willing to participate in ongoing training – i.e. workshops, etc.
- Must be willing to find responsible substitutes for the Mass as needed.
Mass Coordinator Skills
- Willing to be flexible and comfortable with last-minute changes or issues.
- Comfortable with approaching people.
- Willing to assume a leadership position during the Mass and in emergency situations.
- Understand all Mass procedures and the roles of the ministries and be able to answer questions about these ministries.
- Understand the church facilities and what to do when problems arise
- Exercise hospitality.
- Want to be a servant of God and to the community.
- Responsible and reliable.
We make it very easy to enroll in all our ministries through the use of our online enrollment form:
We also have an online scheduling system that once enrolled makes it very easy to see your schedule and ask for substitutes:
If you would like to find out more about these ministries and/or are interested in becoming a Mass Coordinator or Extraordinary Minister, please contact our Liturgical Ministries Chair Mike Jones or our Parish Office.