Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion assist the priest and deacon in distributing the Eucharist at Mass and to those that are home-bound, in nursing homes, or at the hospital. As this is a very privileged role to which adults are invited, an application must be completed that is reviewed by the priest and submitted to the Archdiocese for approval.
Extraordinary Minister Requirements
- Flexibility to serve when needed.
- Is a practicing, faith-filled member of the community and in “good standing” with the doctrines of the Catholic Church.
- Willing to arrive at least 10-15 minutes before your scheduled Mass time and check in with the Mass Coordinator, also to stay 10-15 minutes after Mass to purify the sacred vessels and prepare for the next if a Sacristan is not available
- Understand that you are distributing the real Body and Blood of Christ to your fellow parishioners.
- Reverence our Church community as the “Body of Christ.”
- Willing to find a responsible substitute if unable to serve at your scheduled time.
Extraordinary Minister Skills
- Moves with reverence and grace.
- Does not rush just to get the task done.
- At ease in front of people.
- Can take direction well.
- Can exercise the role of hospitality.
- Wants to be a servant to the community.
- Handles the Body of Christ at all times with reverence
- Responsible and reliable
If you are interested in volunteering in this ministry or have questions, please click on the link below and submit your information.
We adhere to the Archdiocese of Baltimore Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth. All adult volunteers need to register on our management compliance website www.virtus.org and read the Archdiocesan Code of Conduct and Statement of Policy. For more information click here.